Who, Me?

My photo
Nebraska
I'm a pastor, husband and Dad.

Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm not sure what it says about my personality, but several of my hobbies involve high amounts of attention to detail. (O.k., I know what that says about me, but I'm ignoring it for now.) I like carpentry and woodworking, and even though I'm not necessarily an expert at either, (I tell my wife it's because I need more tools - that says something else about me, but I'm ignoring that too.) I do enjoy a project that requires some creative thinking and hard work. (Man, I need some counseling...) One of the most important tools for any kind of woodworking project is an accurate tape measure. Oddly, it's also one of the least expensive... A good tape measure is indispensable for making accurate cuts, and having your project turn out somewhere near how you intended it too.

copyright 2007 ross millar
I also enjoy shooting. I've been an avid shooter since my early childhood, and have many fond memories of spending time with my dad out at the range. One aspect of precision shooting is loading your ammunition. I love reloading, it's a very precise task (again - counseling) that requires deep concentration, attention to detail and also carries an element of danger. Oddly enough, the reloading process requires many different measurements along the way using a variety of instruments. One of them is the micrometer, a very precise measuring tool.

Both of these tools serve different purposes and are hardly interchangeable. Both of them are absolute necessities, however.

In James 3 we read a lot about 2 different kinds of wisdom; worldly wisdom and Godly wisdom. Wisdom is essentially a tool that we use to measure life. And how we measure will determine what our end product looks like. The problem is that many times people (Christians included) are using the wrong measuring tool as they go through life.

James 3:15 says, "Jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom." (NLT) How many times are we living by the wrong kind of wisdom? We need to be careful that we're measuring ourselves and our actions against the right kind of wisdom.


James 3:17 says this about Godly wisdom, "But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere." (NLT) It's actually pretty easy  to know what system of measurement we're using in our life. Is your life full of selfishness and jealousy, or mercy and sincerity? Be honest, and make the necessary adjustments.

I guess being detail oriented and obsessed with measurements is actually a good thing after all?

No comments: