Who, Me?

My photo
Nebraska
I'm a pastor, husband and Dad.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Andi's Trip to Hong Kong - 7

I love good food, which is why Ted does most of the cooking in our home!
There are just so many wonderful things to mention about good food.  Good food can bring families together, it can energize a group, and the really chewy kind can be eaten in order to avoid having to put your foot in your mouth.  Yes indeed, good food has kept me from saying more than one thing I would regret.


One of the wonderful things about short term missions trips is that everyone wants to introduce you to their culture and one of the greatest ways to do that is through food.  We have eaten so well while we have been here.  We’ve also gotten to try so many different foods from so many different countries.  Hong Kong is referred to as the melting pot of Southeast Asia and that goes for food as well as culture.  There has been Vietnamese spring rolls, Chinese barbeque pork, Japanese noodles, a giant pizza, Indian rice, and last night we had Thai food.  Today was a traditional Chinese lunch.  It has all been so delicious.

The one exception to delicious food was a very large fruit that I have previously met, durian.  Durian is a food that I have come across on all my trips to Asia.  It is loved by so many and hated by so many more (including me)!  There is no middle ground with Durian, you will either love it or hate it.  Of course I had to encourage Anna and Megan to try it.  Linda did have to do a little force feeding with that one.  See Durian smells like a banana that has been left on the porch in the hot sun for days…people say the taste is better than the smell, but really should we put stuff that smells that bad in our mouths?

Anyway, I have digressed!
When we go out to eat with people they order for us, this is such a great way to try new things.  Things I might be reluctant to order are often chosen.  Megan mentioned at the beginning of our trip that typically chicken is always a safe bet when ordering, I think she may have changed her mind after the chicken feet.  When the food is brought to the table it is set on a lazy Susan in the middle of the table and we eat family style out of all the dishes.  This gives you the opportunity to try a bite of everything!  The dishes come out as they are ready so everything is hot and wonderful. 

It also just keeps coming!!!  You have to pace yourself!  Last night Anna was trying to get a picture of all the food on the table and she would wait until she thought everything had been served.  After about 5 attempts she gave up and just enjoyed the food.  So, as I my trip is coming to an end and I already have plans to eat out some more I have come to the conclusion it might be a good thing I’m coming home soon, otherwise with all this eating I would end up as big as a house!

No comments: